STIFF WEEK AHEAD FOR HORWEEN'S FIRST SQUAD

LATERALS ACCOUNT FOR THREE TOUCHDOWNS

After a hard and brisk scrimmage with the seconds on Saturday and a day of rest yesterday Harvard's football contingent will swing into action again this afternoon opening its second week of practice. It will also be the second last week of practice before the opening game with Vermont on October 4.

Still pessimistic about his prospects Coach Horween will probably require a good deal of hard work of his charges this week and taper off towards the end of the fortnight. At least three scrimmages are on tap for this week, probably one of them with the seconds.

In Saturday's tiff with the scrubs the first team showed that the lateral pass was still its greatest threat, since all three touchdowns of the 20 to 0 victory were scored as a direct result of laterals. Mays counted two of them and Forbes one. The team as a whole functioned well and was only halted in its drive to the goal line once by the scrubs. Few men were outstanding but the work of Schereschewsky at full back the while substituting for White was favorably commented on by Coach Horween as was the play of Hageman, the guard who was recently shifted to end, and Bancroft, Trafford, and Upton, all linemen. Captain Ticknor also seemed to be spilling opposing backs behind the line of scrimmage with the same regularity with which he did last year.

Following is the lineup employed by the University squad:

L.e., Harding Lovett; I.t., Richards, Upton; l.g., Myerson, Brooks, Kidder; e., Ticknor, Cunningham; r.g., Trainer. Esterly. Bancroft; r.t., Kales. Trafford. Kuehn; r.e., Ogden, Bageman; q.b., Wood, Buguley. Putnam; 1.h.b., Mays, Forbes, Greeley; r.h.b., Devens, Fullam, Brinkly; f.b., White, 'Shere-schewsky, Record.