TOTAL ENROLMENT SHOWS INCREASE OF 77 OVER 1929

Figures for Law School Show Slight Decrease from Last Year--3217 in College

A new record for the first day's enrolment in Harvard University was set yesterday when the registration figures for the University totalled 7879. This is an increase of 77 over last year's figure of 7802, and of almost 860 over 1928. Of this total 8217 enrolled in the College against an enrolment of 3165 last fall at the corresponding time, included in the College registration are 27 special students.

The Business School continued its steady growth with an enrolment of 58 more students than last year. In 1930 the figures show a registration of 1045 students compared to 987 in 1929.

A substantial increase was also shown in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences with 911 as compared to 846 in 1929.

Decrease in Law School

Contrasted to the increase in these other major departments of the University, the number registered in the Law School shows a slight decrease. Last fall, the enrolment of the Law School totalled 1587 while in 1930 the number is 1534. In 1928, the Law School showed a registration of 1512 students.

Figures on the opening day registration in the Medical School show it to have passed the 500 mark with a total enrolment of 503. In the Engineering School there are numbered 245 students while the School of Education and the Dental School, the only other departments of the University with an enrolment in excess of 100, total 117 and 102 students respectively.

The registration for the other departments is as follows: Theological School, 65; School of Architecture, 48; School of Landscape Architecture, 36; School of Public Health, 17; School of City Planning, 7; and Bussey Institution, 5.