CRIMSON TO START FALL COMPETITIONS AT NIGHT MEETING

Sophomores Compete for Photographic, News and Business Boards--1932 to Write Editorials

Upperclassmen in Harvard College will be afforded an opportunity to compete for posts in all departments of the CRIMSON beginning tonight, when competitions get under way with a preliminary meeting at 7 o'clock in the President's office of the Crimson Building at 14 Plympton Street.

Juniors will enter competition for the editorial department of the daily. Candidates in this field usually write one editorial a day, which is submitted to the editor in charge for comment and advice. Harvard subjects form the basis of most CRIMSON editorials, but candidates will be given a change to express themselves on subjects which are of general interest to the college under-graduate.

Sophomores may compete for places on the business, photographic and news boards. Business candidates devote their time to securing advertisements, under an assignment system. Coming at the first of the year, the fall competition furnishes Sophomores with the most advantageous opportunity of the year, since the later, and second, falls partly during the midyear examination period.

In the news competition candidates experience most of the excitement attendant to the process of gathering and printing news. The whole of Harvard is their field, and there is no better way of learning the ins and outs of a great university than by heeling for news for an undergraduate daily. Straight news is stressed, but human interest stories and interview also fall within the field of the news candidate. The first few days of the competition are devoted to a breaking-in process, and no undergraduate need remain out of the competition on the basis of lack of experience; editors will lend assistance until candidates are able to gather and write their news unaided.

Photography of college subjects will be required of candidates in the photographic department. They need not own a camera; CRIMSON cameras will be supplied.

The fall competition will last through the month of November, coming to an end early in December. Attendance at tonight's meeting does not obligate a student to enter the competition