YALE BEGINS TOMORROW 230TH ACADEMIC YEAR; NOTED MEN WILL TEACH

OPEN NEW WINGS OF STERLING QUADRANGLE

New Haven, Conn., Sept 23--Yale University will open its 230th academic year tomorrow, with several important additions to its Faculty; with a new building devoted exclusively to student health; and will open two wings of the Sterling Residential Quadrangle.

Among those who will join the Yale Faculty this year are Dr. John Farquhar Fulton, the noted neuro-physiologist, who will be Sterling Professor of Physiology; Dr. J. G. Dusser de Barenne, of the University of Utrecht, who has been appointed Professor of Physiology; Ulrich Bonnell Phillips, Ph.D., author of "Life and Labor in the Old South," who has been appointed Professor of American History, and James Harvey Rogers, the noted economist.

Dr. Fulton, who is in his early thirties, has so distinguished himself in neuro-physiology and in physiology generally that he is considered today the outstanding man in this field, according to Dean M. C. Winternitz, of the Yale School of Medicine. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree at Harvard in 1921, studied for four years at Oxford with Sir Charles Sherrington and, in that period, received the M.A., and Ph.D. degree from Oxford. In 1925 Dr. Fulton returned to Harvard to study for his M.D., which he received in 1927. The year following he spent at Dr. Harvey Cushing's famous clinic for brain surgery in connection with the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and the Harvard Medical School. He returned to England in 1928 as Fellow of Magdalen College, Oxford. Of the numerous publications by Dr. Fulton, his most important work thus far is "Muscular Contraction and the Reflex Control of Movement."

Dr. Dusser de Barenne is known for his contribution to the knowledge of the functions of the central nervous system, and has had a wide practical experience in dealing with mental and nervous diseases. Since 1919 he has been a neurologist at St. Antonius Hospital, Utrecht, and Professor of Physiology, in the University of Utrecht. He also has been associated with Sir Charles Sherrington, the great English physiologist.

With Dr. Fulton and Dr. Eugen Kahn of Munich, Professor of Psychiatry and Mental Hygiene at Yale, Dr. Dusser de Barenne is the third major appointment recently made at Yale in the sciences underlying the study of individual behavior.

Visiting professors at Yale this year will be Professor Harold J. Laski, of the London School of Economics, Visiting Professor of Government and Law; Raymond Leslie Buell, of New York City, Research Director of the Foreign Policy Association, Visiting Professor of Government; Professor Albert Beebe White, of the University of Minnesota, Visiting Professor of History; Professor Duane Reed Stuart, of Princeton, Visiting Professor of Latin; and Thurman Wesley Arnold, Dean and Professor of Law at the University of Virginia, Visiting Professor of Law