Badminton is Added to List of Harvard Indoor Sports

Two Courts are Installed, Instruction To be Provided

It was announced yesterday by N. W. Fradd, Instructor in Corrective Athletics, that two temporary Badminton courts had been laid out in the Freshman Athletic Building. These courts may be used by any member of the University, and rackets, birds, and nets may be had by applying to the janitor. Badminton, which is played by thousands of people in England and Canada, is an innovation at Harvard. It is hoped that experienced players will come out for the sport, and that any inexperienced men interested will learn the game. Ample instruction will be provided. If the experiment is successful and interest warrants, facilities for play will be enlarged, and an exhibition match by two of the best Boston exponents of the game will be field.

Badminton was first introduced in the United States in 1878. The game consists of driving a specially made shuttle over a light net five feet high with a finely made long-handled racket, and can be played by either two or four people. At present the Badminton Club and the University Club are the only two groups providing Badminton facilities in Boston.