GOING BACK TO NASSAU

The news last night from Princeton announces the most important development in the movement to resume Harvard Princeton athletic relations since last spring, when the undergraduate dailies of both universities first advocated an entente cordiale. Petitioning the Princeton Board of Athletic Control to schedule Harvard in all sports but football, the Princeton sports captains testify how very real is the undergraduate sentiment in favor of healing the 1926 rupture.

Valuable not only as a reliable index of Nassau student opinion, the petition is significant on account of the very nature of its proposal. All previous attempts to bring. Harvard and Princeton together have failed because their respective football policies are incompatible. Recognizing this fact, the CRIMSON two weeks ago asked that relations be resumed in all other sports. The practicability of this suggestion, with which the Princetonian concurs, is echoed in the captains' petition. Since football is the only stumbling block it is hard to imagine any valid objection to carrying into action the provisions of the petition.

Harvard as well as Princeton men are anxious that the two universities meet on the athletic field. Mr. Bingham has already officially signified Harvard's eagerness to meet Princeton in any or all sports. As an added gesture of sincerity and friendliness the Harvard undergraduate leaders might well follow the example of the Princeton students. Given a mandate from their student bodies to schedule each other in all sports except football it would be the clear duty of the athletic officials to put aside their football differences and realize that football in the undergraduate mind is not the end-all of Princeton-Harvard sporting contests. Harvard's stand, both of its officials and its undergraduates, has been made plain. Both universities await action by Dr. Kennedy.