EXHIBITION OF PICASSO HELD BY ART SOCIETY

AFTER PRIVATE SHOWING TODAY, OPEN TO PUBLIC TOMORROW

A tea this afternoon for the members of the Harvard Society for Contemporary Art will introduce a new exhibition at the Society's galleries on Harvard Square. The display, which will consist of a series of 40 drawings by Pablo Picasso, including a group of 20, exhibited only twice before, together with examples of the latest work of the celebrated French artist, is to be opened to the public tomorrow.

The collection is to be augmented by a group of lithographs, etchings, and facsimiles. It has been made up from contributions by P.J. Sachs '00, assistant director of the Fogg Art Museum, J.N. Brown '22, Mrs. John Allen Carpenter, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Richmond, the Arts Club of Chicago, the Weyhe Gallery, Jacques Seligmann and Company, and Wildenstein and Company.

Pablo Picasso has had a profound influence on contemporary French Art, not only in the field of painting; but in the graphic arts, as a sculptor, and as a talented stage designer. He was born in Malaga in 1881, taking the name of his mother, who taught him the foundations of the painter's art. His earliest paintings, from 1901 to 1907, were of the symbolist school.

Turning to Cezanne for strength in the analysis of volume and mass, he became one of the exponents of the cubist school. Since 1919 he has vacillated between the pictorial and the abstract, all his work being characterized by, a boundless energy and imagination. The exhibition will continue until Friday, February 13.