LUBAN TO PAINT BROOKS PORTRAIT FOR P. B. H.

IS COLLECTING DATA TO AID IN PICTURING BISHOP

Boris Luban, a celebrated artist now living in New York City, and whose recent portrait of Thomas Alva Edison has caused much favorable comment, has offered to the Phillips Brooks House Association a portrait of Bishop Phillips Brooks '55, which will be executed in connection with the coming observance of the thirtieth anniversary of the organization.

The offer has been accepted by Professor G. G. Wilson, chairman of the Phillips Brooks House committee, and negotiations have been completed by J. H. Lane '28, graduate secretary of the committee. The original offer came through Mrs. Margaret Porter of New York City, who, as a relative of Bishop Brooks, wrote to Lane suggesting the portrait as an appropriate gift. At the same time she mentioned Mr. Luban, whose subsequent interest in the life of Bishop Brooks became so strong that he determined to execute his portrait without charge, and make it a gift to the association.

Luban Collecting Data

A meeting of the committee last Friday, December 19, made official acknowledgment of the gift, and Mr. Luban has since been collecting material for the painting. For his data he depends on the descriptions of those who have been personally acquainted with the bishop, on the numerous biographies, and on the few existing photographs. In this way he feels that he can create an intimacy with his subject which a mere following of the various existing portraits could not accomplish.

Phillips Brooks House was dedicated on January 23, 1900, in the memory of Bishop Phillips Brooks, to Piety, Charity, and Hospitality.