Not Far to Go

THE PRESS

The Harvard and Princeton athletic breach cannot be permanent, for in the long run the old friendship of the universities, in spite of temporary cleavage, draws them together. The undergraduates at Cambridge and Princeton with fine spirit have taken the lead in asking that the traditional rivalry in sports be resumed as soon as possible. The difference in policies regarding football schedules is still an obstacle; the programs already arranged make a Princeton-Harvard football game before 1936 improbable. But in the other sports the colleges are not at cross purposes. Meetings in these can take place without great delay, as the sports captains, backed by student sentiment apparently unanimous, desire. Leaders of the Princeton undergraduates have said in "The Princetonian": It is our opinion that athletic relations, football excepted, should be resumed with Harvard not at some distant date but immediately." And the Harvard Student Council replies: "Harvard-Princeton competition cannot take place too soon."

The boys have buried the hatchet. It is hard to remember after four years just what the quarrel was about. Whatever it was, there can be no question that Princeton and Harvard men in general are tired of an estrangement too artificial to withstand the revival and the expression of genuine good feeling. --New York Herald Tribune.