ACQUAINTANCES OF HARVARD STUDENTS VICTIMS OF RACKET

Scheme May be Upset by Publicity and Warning Families--Operations Only in New York

A racket in which the families and friends of Harvard students play the victim in the modern art of coney catching has been disclosed through the receipt of letter to Dean Hanford from a graduate of the class of 1929. The racket, which so far as is known is restricted to New York, consists of approaching the family under the pretence of being a friend of the student or recent graduate.

Because of the wide spread unemployment, the hard luck stories carry a great deal of weight. According to L. B. Keim '29, the writer of the letter, the racketeers have, by these methods, succeeded in carrying out their schemes. Since the writer suggested that the plan could be killed by effective publicity. Dean Hanford has made the communication known to the CRIMSON.

The letter follows:

My dear Mr. Hanford:

There is a group of young men operating about New York who masquerade as friends of college students, and try to extort money and assistance from families of college students.

Briefly their method of operation is this. They call on the people where there is at present a member of one of the big colleges in the family, or where there has recently been a college student. They claim to know all your friends, the club you belonged to, and so forth. Their story is always one of hard luck, and want assistance. Sometimes they have a confederate meet them a few minutes after they arrive, and then the two of them try anything they think they may succeed at. In any case where they have had help offered them they fail to return to obtain it. One has been known to carry a gun.

We have been visited by them, but fortunately I was at home and know of the racket. Another Harvard man was approached, and gave the price of a meal and offered work, which was not accepted and a Yale student of my intimate acquaintance was approached, and entry tried to be forced into his apartment.

I believe it is to your protection, for the reputation of the University, and that of its students, both present and past, to publicise this matter in the "Crimson", the Alumni Bulletin and in any way that Students may be warned to oust these callers.

The Park Avenue Association a civic organization has warned residents of that street about this matter, but I feel that it ought to be brought to the attention of all those upon whom it might work its hardships.

Hoping that you will feel disposed to co-operate in eliminating a racket that is being pushed because of the unemployment situation. I remain. Your very truly.   Liewllyn Bates Keim 1929.