CHILD'S PLAY

It is always pleasing to find one's most tender beliefs verified by science, for the good lady often plays the iconoclast. And now, from Athens, Georgia, a city indeed well fitted to give knowledge to the world, comes the news that a child can annoy its parents in 2124 ways. Surprised as many people may be that the total is so moderate, it must be remembered that young blood eternally attempts the impossible.

It would not be overstating the case to venture the suggestion that there are probably some children, to whom this number of faux pas is a brief morning's labor. No really bright child will waste his creative originality within such terrestrial limits. Wordsworth, who, it may be recalled, once eulogized the darling pigmies and the philosophical babes in the woods, placed no bounds upon infantile knowledge.

Yet with all this substantial data for the protection of parents, there is still a gap in knowledge. No one has thus far sent a questionnaire to the children, and the annoyances suffered by the little innocents remains an undetermined factor. To make such a survey fair and just, and free from political corruption, moreover, is a task for the infant Hercules. But in a moment of hasty judgment, seizing on boldness, here is the advice. Let the research workers and the parents enter the kindergarten, and some youthful prodigy, it may be warranted, will make a survey to startle the world.