EDWARD CHANNING, HISTORY PROFESSOR FOR 42 YEARS, DIES

Was Well Known Member of American Academy of Arts and Letters -- In 1925 He Received Pulitzer Prize

Edward Channing '78, Ph.D., LL.D., Professor of Ancient and Modern History, Emeritus, died suddenly yesterday afternoon, between 1 and 2 o'clock at his home, 5 Clayton Circle, Cambridge. It is expected that funeral arrangements will not be made until today.

Professor Channing, who was born June 15, 1856 in Dorchester; graduated from Harvard in 1878 and taught here until 1929, when he retired. He was probably best known for his six volume "History of the United States", which is considered by many educators the greatest American history ever written.

In 1883, Channing returned to Harvard as an instructor, and in 1887 became an assistant professor. From 1897 to 1913 he was professor of history, becoming in 1913 McLean professor of ancient and modern history. He was also a well known member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and in 1925 was the recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for the best book on history in the United States of that year. It was awarded for the sixth volume of his "History of the United States."

Professor Channing was the author of numerous American histories and textbooks on United States history among which are. "Town and Country Government in the English Colonies of North America." "The Narragansett Planters," "The United States of America," and a "Students' History of the United States."