HIDDEN LORE

Now that Widener is richer by the recovery of some eighteen hundred stolen volumes, the benefits of the turn-stile system are more evident. All of the recently discovered thefts were committed before this was installed. Since that time the number of missing books has decreased considerably. It is evident that the Widener customs have been effective in their methods.

In view of this measure of success, it seems that the authorities would allow freer access to the special libraries. The various tutorial and special collections, located on the top floor, are often accessible only to the chosen few who have keys. This is often unfair and inconvenient for other students. Special hours are not for them; and all rooms are always closed on holidays, though the rest of the library is open. In addition the Poetry Room, also a special library, is only open during the afternoons when there is a real need for it at other times.

Despite the fact that these libraries are departmental and do not belong to the College, the Widener Library houses and catalogs their books. It has, however, no control over the hours that they maintain. The conclusive proof of the new system in checking book thefts should convince the departments that they need fear no loss. It would be of advantage if the small collections forgot their individual interests, and cooperated more closely with the College library. It would provide a better working plan for all concerned, and satisfy the primary consideration of any library, the convenience of the user.