NATIONAL STUDENT POLL ON DISARMAMENT IS HELD

QUESTION OF MILITARY DRILL IN COLLEGE CONSIDERED

Under the leadership of the Intercollegiate Disarmament Council, a National Student Poll on Disarmament will be conducted until December 15 by every college in the United States for the purpose of getting a nation-wide tabulation of student opinion on the question. The college newspapers, Christian Associations, International Relations Clubs, Liberal Clubs, or any other local groups may combine in whatever type of organization seems most desirable to those interested in promoting and conducting the preparatory discussions and the voting.

The ballot includes seven questions, some of which ask what percentage of disarmament is favored if all nations join in similar reductions, to what an extent the United States should take the initiative in calling all nations to reduce armaments, and whether the United States should set an example to other nations by reducing our expenditures upon armaments.

Other questions bearing more directly on college interests question whether compulsory military training in colleges should or should not be abolished. The last question asks whether the student signing the ballot has had any military training. The purpose of the latter question is to sound student opinion on the Act of Congress making military training in all state universities obligatory.

The Intercollegiate Disarmament Council has recommended that all interested students should obtain material for the formation of sound opinion from such institutions as the following: Council of Christian Associations, Committee on Militarism in Education, Foreign Policy Association, and the League for Industrial Democracy.