STANFORD DEBATE OVER RADIO WILL TAKE PLACE SOON

Question of Strong Central Government in the United States is Topic--to Speak Over Columbia Chain

In its first debate of the year, a team of the Harvard Debating Council will meet Lcland Stanford University over the radio on the afternoon of Friday, November 27. An entirely different team from the group meeting Oxford in the trans Atlantic debate about a week later will represent Harvard. Its members are: M. A. Hoffman '34, J. H. Ruskin '33, and C. L. Barriss '34, alternate.

Harvard will uphold the affirmative of the proposition, "Resolved, That America needs a stronger central government." The debate, lasting about an hour, will be broadcast, over a national network of the Columbia Broadcasting System, and will consist of two ten-minute speeches and a five-minute rebuttal on each side.

At the conclusion of the contest B. V. Kaltenborn '09, who "edits the news" every Sunday evening for the Columbia chain will give a critical analysis of the speeches. The Harvard debaters will speak from the studios of station WNAC in Boston and the Standford team from Palo Alto, California. There will be no judges, the decision being left to the radio audience.

The Standford debate will be the second radio argument of its sort ever held in this country and is the outgrowth of the successful debate with Chicago last spring. The Harvard council was the originator of the type of debating in which the opposing teams speak over the air from different points.