BEYOND GENEROSITY

The last few weeks have been filled with schemes to apply the compelling psychology of high-pressure salesman-ship in loosening the purse-strings of the country. In the grand tradition of the confectioners who created Mother's Day to sell more chocolate creams and the haberdashers who invented Father's Day to sell more ties, comes a fanfare of advertisements from Mr. Owen D. Young. urging every American to give more than he really intended so that he will see that happy, proud look in the eyes of the little woman back home. The allurements of Mrs. MacPherson, the fascinations of church fairs, and the excitements of football games have all been enlisted as anesthetics to lull the pain of alms-giving.

Even those who cannot suppress a smile at these methods admit that the end justifies the means. It is admirable for Harvard to contribute money to tide ever some of the fourteen hundred families in Cambridge who are without means of support. But it should not stop with the assumption that money is the only contribution it can make. It should have enough respect for its own mental abilities to take part in a program for permanent economic betterment. What money it does give should be spent as the Cambridge Unemployment Relief so wisely suggested as last night's dinner; that is to help men find joins and not to provide them with a dele.

There are generous, sentimental old ladies who throw out lavish silver to the poor and there are trained social workers who, while providing a temporary subsistence, try to establish needy families on a self-supporting basis. Which will Harvard be?