DEBATERS CLASH WITH STANFORD OVER RADIO

BELLAMY, OUTLOOK EDITOR, WILL ACT AS CHAIRMAN

Speaking over a coast-to-coast radio network, a team of the Harvard Debating Council will meet Leland Stanford University today. M. A. Hoffman '34, J. H. Ruskin '33, and C. L. Harriss '34, alternate will represent Harvard and Francis R. Bellamy, editor of the Outlook and Independent, will act as chairman.

The Harvard debaters will argue the affirmative of the question, "Resolved, That America needs a stronger central government." Each side is given two ten-minute speeches and a five-minute rebuttal. J. M. Swigert, debating coach, said the debate, lasting about an hour, will be broadcast over the nation-wide network of the Columbia Broadcasting System on Friday, between 3 and 4 o'clock instead of 2.30 to 3.30 o'clock, as previously announced.

The Harvard team will speak from the studies of WNAC and the Stanford debaters from their own campus over KFRC. Mr. Bellamy will introduce the speakers from the WABC studies in New York.

The Stanford debate, following the successful broadcast of a debate with Chicago last spring, is the first coast-to-coast radio argument ever held in this country. It is to be followed by the transoceanic debate with Oxford University next week. Both hook-ups present many technical difficulties, overcome in a long period of experiment.