BOOKENDS

"LAQUACITIES" BY Charles M. Flagrant. D. Appleton & Co. New York 1931. $2.50.

By R. N. C. jr.

Hilaire Belloc, biographer of the French Revolution, has once more issued a new edition of one of the best of these character studies--DANTON Putnam's, New York, 1928. $5). As in the case of his works on Marie Antoinette and Robespierre, Mr. Belloc has made no changes is the estimates he made of Danton back in his salad days--nor does there seem to be any reason why he should, for his chief charm, his eye for the dramatic and his fine literary style need no refurbishing.

Concerning THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY by Thornton Wilder, (Albert and Charles Boni, New York, 1928. $2.50), it has all been said so well not to say often. One hundred and thirty thousand in four months, eleven thousand sold in England, hailed by a professor of English in the University of Alabama as a classic, not equalled since "Ethan Frome' and 'Jurgen,'" talked of, written about, sometimes read. The price of the first editions has already jumped to $20 thanks to the efforts of Messrs. Phelps and Hansen, Mr. Wilder, we learn, is still holding down his academic post at Lawrenceville Academy. He has divulged the title of his new novel to come, "The Woman of Andros" and will sail for Europe early in July, obstensibly to write it, probably to get away from friends who want to know what it is all about. "Cabala" is enjoying a form of vicarious popularity, slightly posthumous.

After the "Ask Me Another" peril was finally filed safely away in the waste basket along with the Cross Word Puzzle books it was not evident from whence would come the heir apparent to the honored place on the library table, once held by the sterioptican and family album. The answer came partially with MARRIAGE MADE EASY by Doris Webster and Mary Alden Hopkins (The Century Co., New York, 1928, $1.25). When bridge and conversation fail it is one of those strange playthings which baffle the intelligence and flatter the vanity.

Among God's gifts to the Divisionals-ridden Senior are survey books,--volumes with broad, comprehensive treatments of the whole subject, outlines which bring out of the obscurity of "periods" a unit which may be viewed for perhaps the first time as such. ENGLISH LITERATURE IN ITS FOREIGN RELATIONS (1300-1800). By Lourie Magnus, E. P. Dutton, New York, 1927, $3.), is a recent and adequate attempt to fulfill this need. Mr. Magnus is especially interested in Continental influences on English Literature. He treats the subject completely and in a scholarly fashion. The result is a valuable addition to the ranks of the semi-text books.

Included among recent additions to the Everyman's Library (E. P. Dutton and Co., New York, 1928), are W. Harrison Ainsworth's famous novel of the perfect servant. The Admirable Crichton, lately immortalized by the movies: The Life and Letters of John Keats edited by Lord Boughton: The Brothers Karamazov (2 vols.) Thedor Dostoevsky, generally conceded a place as one of the greatest works of the age: The Life of Jesus by Ernest Renan.

Recent additions to the Modern Library series includes Norman Douglas "Old Calabria." Douglas is by no means as well-known as the author of "South Wing" should be known. Among a select minority of readers, however, he signs as one of the best of twentieth century writers. It is difficult to find more cynicial, tongue in the cheek, smiling satire than can be found in "South Wind." Another noteworthy addition to the same series is H. M. Thomlison's "The Sea and Jungle."

Old poets are apt to develop a weakness for epigrams. Sometimes they achieve their most beautiful thoughts in these short, effortless three or four lines. Thus Landor like, Rabindranath Tagore, the Indian poet and mystic, in his sixty-seventh year has compiled such a collection which he calls FIREFLIES (Macmillan Co., New York, 1928, $2.50). On the flyleaf is Tagore's explanatory inscription, "Fireflies had their origin in China and Japan where thoughts were very often claimed from me in my handwriting of fans and pieces of silk."