Princeton

THE PRESS

Harvard's heart, it appears, is in the right place after all. The press and many individuals were recently rather free in their criticism of the Cambridge institution's refusal to waive its "anti-commercialization-of-football" principles in order to aid in the nation's unemployment crisis. But Tuesday night the Harvard Student Council rose to the occasion by approving the suggestion of the Harvard Alumni Bulletin that collections be taken up for charity at the three remaining games of the season. Further, regarding President Lowell's attitude toward the innovation, we are apprised by the New York Herald Tribune that "It has been learned from sources close to the Harvard president that he will not oppose the idea."

In short, the President and Student Council of America's oldest institution of culture are graciously permitting the crowd which their team attracts each Saturday to be canvassed for any loose change that may be lefty in individual Jeans after the purchase of a $4 or $5 admission ticket. The gift is particularly generous in this blase age of ours when good cords are hard to collect, and in view of the optimism expressed by the President of the Student Council who hopes for an average contribution of twenty-five cents per spectator. Most gratifying of all is the announcement that a plan has at last been found which President Lowell "will not oppose." Judging from the past, this will entail a distinct effort on the part of the President.

John Harvard may now settle back in complacent comfort, confident that he has at last made a generous sacrifice for the good of humanity. --Daily Princeton