CHAUVINISM

A mass meeting for disarmament staged by peace societies of 30 nations in Paris was broken up by nationalists and royalists. Catcalls, whistles, profanity, and shouts of "Down with disarmament!" drowned out the speeches of many eminent foreign delegates to the disarmament conference, including Alanson B. Houghton, former United States ambassador. Only the greatly amplified broadcast of Senator Borah's speech could be heard above the tumult. The admonitions and chidings of Edward Herriot, former premier, were of no avail in the face of discourtesy without parallel.

The disorder was initiated without doubt by a militant minority of the right, whose lead was followed by listeners in search of diversion, who with true Gallic wit took pleasure in causing discomfiture to over serious and self-important pacifists. Yet it is also a sign of the overbearing attitude which most nations adopt when they find themselves in a position of supremacy. Kipling wrote his "Recessional" to moderate this spirit. The Germans earned the epithet of "Huns" by crudely and needlessly antagonizing civilized society when they were in the ascendancy. The French would do well to see that they do not lose the sanity and balance which have won for them world leadership.