PRACTICE FOR HOCKEY MEN STARTS IN GARDEN

FORWARD PASSING ALLOWED IN ATTACKING ZONE

A light scrimmage for the first string men, and an opportunity for every man to prove his ability on the ice, characterized the first hockey practice of the season at the Boston Garden yesterday afternoon.

The first division, consisting of all lettermen from last year's University and Freshman squads, started at 2.30 o'clock, and spent an hour and a half on fundamentals. Three forwards, and two defense men were set to work in shifts, while later on the players split up, and practised shots at the net at either end of the rink.

At four o'clock all Jayvee men and new candidates came on to the ice, and went through much the same workout. A brief scrimmage was held by the first squad at the end of the afternoon. Especial emphasis was laid by Coach Joseph Stubbs '20, on the new rules, which allow a man to forward pass in the attacking zone, and which also restrict the number of players in the defense zone to three men, except when the puck has entered that territory.

Inasmuch as over 60 men were on hand for yesterday's practice it will be necessary to cut the squad down to workable size, and for this reason it is expected that Coach Stubbs will make an early cut. At present there is a wealth of material from which to build a strong sextet.