BIRTHDAY AT LOWELL HOUSE FOR THE PRESIDENT

Presentation of Book of Signatures Precedes Entertainment of Music and Dramatics

At an informal birthday dinner followed by a short period of entertainment President Lowell was the guest of honor of the members of Lowell House last evening. The celebration lasted from 7 o'clock until shortly after 9 o'clock, and in addition to the dinner, included music and a dramatic entertainment.

The evening began at 7 o'clock promptly, when approximately 300 persons, including present residents, tutors, and associates took their places at tables throughout the Dining Hall. Three-quarters of an hour later, when the dessert and coffee were about to be brought in, House Committee chairman P. M. Whitman '32 arose to give a short welcome to the President in behalf of the House.

At the conclusion of his remarks Whitman presented the President with a book, containing signatures of the associates, tutors, and present residents of Lowell House. President Lowell accepted the gift with a few observations on the growth of the House plan idea into its present healthy condition. Accompanying the gift of the House came a huge birthday cake decorated with 75 candles, which was subsequently cut by the President and then passed to the various tables.