Skilled Business Men, Not Doles or Breadlines, Remedy for Crisis Says Carver--Workers Cannot Support Unemployed

"Trained university graduates, not doles or breadlines, are the real sources of increased employment and prosperity," declared Professor T. N. Carver, chairman of the Department of History, Government, and Economics, in an interview yesterday. "In America today there are great demands for certain important commodities. We have in the country an ample supply of raw materials, labor, capitol, and buyers. Trained organizers are the only links in this chain which are missing, and which keep the cycle from becoming complete. Only men who have mastered the theory of modern industrial methods are capable of regulating an industry so that it will yield sufficient profits to pay a reasonable wage to the laborers. Today we find few such men, especially in Europe, and those who have charge of the large business corporations cannot make them pay enough to give sufficient wages, hence the employment. The unemployed have no right to ask the busy people of the world to support them. The responsibility of the employed to the unemployed does not rest on financial support. And aid can only be righteously accepted by those out of work, as charity.

"A University without some sort of a business school is hardly justified in the present condition of the world." Professor Carver continued. "This I believe to be true for the majority of eastern universities, where emphasis on humanistic study and indifference to the conditions of a more or less remote outer world prevail. Without certain definite vocational aims a student at a college of this sort is quite useless in the present economical crisis.

"In ordinary conditions the student at an endowed university owes no service to the world. Humanistic learning, the pursuit of art and letters, he can then claim as his occupation in the social system. But in the present state of the world no matter what type of person he may be, he must enlist in a compulsory service for humanity.