A HOCKEY RINK

In the annual report of the Harvard Athletic Association, Mr. Bingham emphasized again the need for new hockey rinks. It is unfortunate that, due to the decreased income of the Association this year, permanent improvements have been necessarily curtailed. A hockey rink is among the most important of these. Uprooted from its proper home in Cambridge, and transplanted in Boston, the sport has not enjoyed the normal development it would have had nearer at hand. Despite the fact that it probably draws more interest than any other winter sport, no facilities are offered nearer than the Boston Garden.

With the development of intra-mural athletics, the need becomes more pressing. The University squad can practice and play away from home with a certain amount of facility, but the Boston Garden would obviously be neither available, nor possible for House teams. The rinks on Soldiers Field have been too poorly kept up to assure any regular use. Otherwise the hockey enthusiast has had to make the most of the poor and not too frequent ice of the Charles. If the inter-House sports are to be successful some better facilities must be made possible.

The question of building a rink for University teams in Cambridge is also urgent. Only necessity can justify the use of the Boston Garden. The Athletic Association has to depend too much on a wholly commercial enterprise. Its schedules must be made out so as not to conflict with the many other lessees of the Garden. The expense is so great that only the first string teams can practice there. And for the majority of games, it is far larger than is necessary. Furthermore the distance removes the sport from its true relation to the University life.

The erection of an artificial hockey rink suitable for the needs is admittedly a costly matter. But the popularity of hockey and its inherent excellence as a form of amateur competition justify the necessary expense. Proper facilities for hockey and skating are no idle luxury, but should form an important and necessary part of the University's athletic program.