FRADD CHOSEN TO OCCUPY NEW POST

Position Corresponds to That of H. W. Clark for Athletics--Completes the Organization of Department

A final step toward coordinating the supervision of Harvard athletics has just been taken with the appointment of Norman Wallace Fradd, instructor in Physical Education and director of the Indoor Athletic Building, to the newly created post of Assistant Director of Physical Education. While Mr. Fradd's duties will be substantially the same as formerly, his new position is destined to put him in complete charge of the New Indoor Athletic Building and also of the Hemenway Gymnasium.

Reorganization of athletic control at Harvard was begun with the appointment of W. J. Bingham '16 as Director of Athletics and Physical Education in 1926. Under the new regime, H. W. Clark '23 was made Assistant Director of Athletics and Mr. Fradd will occupy a corresponding position in the field of physical education. Daniel Kelly in 1928 resigned from a position which more or less corresponded to Mr. Fradd's present one, but the place was left vacant.

Mr. Fradd has been at Harvard since 1919 when he came here under Dr. Roger I. Lee '01, then professor of Hygiene and now a Fellow of the College, to supervise the special and corrective classes in connection with the system of compulsory Freshman athletics which was established at that time. Under his direction these classes have increased steadily in popularity among upperclassmen as well as Freshmen until it became necessary to provide full-time assistants this year.

The new Assistant Director is a graduate of Springfield where he played football and basketball. After serving as athletic director in various high schools of Greater Boston, he went over seas during the war with the Yankee Division. While in France he undertook an original piece of work in training and rehabilitating wounded soldiers in some of the large hospital centers and returned with the rank of captain. Called to Harvard in 1919, he was made an instructor in physical education and with the opening of the Indoor Athletic Building, was chosen by Bingham to have charge of the new facilities thereby provided.

Mr. Fradd is the author of several articles bearing on health and efficiency and is the inventor of the silhouetteo-graph, the camera-like machine for graphing posture, with which undergraduates are familiar.