PROFESSIONAL PRIVILEGE

The suggestion made by "The Dartmouth" that reciprocal free tuition should be provided at Smith and Dartmouth for children of the faculty members, is a noteworthy one. Dartmouth now allows free tuition to the sons of its faculty, and the proposed extension of this principle would assure the children of the respective faculties of a higher education.

Children of college professors, being brought up in an atmosphere of learning and culture, are peculiarly well fitted to profit from a college education. To them especially its advantages should be open. As a class, college professors are usually underpaid, and relieving them of the burden of tuition for their sons and daughters would be some compensation for the financial sacrifice involved in teaching.

Under a nationwide extension of this reciprocity of free tuition, the children of professors throughout the country would be entitled to their undergraduate tuition in any institution of their choosing. Thus at least some of the benefits of education which their parents are dedicating their lives to impart, would be more easily accessible to the children of college professors.