UTOPIAN

In an article reprinted in this issue of the CRIMSON the Graduate School of Education sets forth with true Platonic utopianism what the perfect principal or head-master should be. It even goes so far as to state that it is adequately prepared to create such a man.

This ideal man is to have a formidable sum of attributes. In the first place, he is to possess a broad knowledge that will enable him to visualize the needs of the community and fashion the educational scheme of his school accordingly. Such a man is expected to accept a position that yields a salary seldom exceeding four figures.

Further, he is supposed to attain this knowledge from his college work. By majoring in such fields as government, economics, and history they assume that sufficient broadness can be gained to qualify the young hopeful for this truly important position. Any man of such talent would immediately find a place which had in it a far greater future, at least from a worldly point of view.

The result is that there would be altogether too few men to supply the demand. Only men who wanted to teach from love of it would be available if they had the requirements which this article demands. These are few, considering the number of posts there are to fill. That mediocre men can be developed up to specifications is obviously absurd. Any man who would satisfy the Graduate School of Education would be qualified for the highest position in industry or politics.

There are only two redeeming features to this article. It may inspire principals who have latent abilities to exert themselves. It may be effective advertising for the School of Education.