Dr. Kennedy, Returned From Middle West, Anxious to Discuss Resumption of H-P Relations With Bingham at an Early Date

"Princetonian" Expresses Hope for Immediate Action in Official Circles

Princeton, N. J. Feb.9. The "Daily Princetonian," undergraduate paper, commenting on the remarks of Dr. Kennedy made today will say in its editorial columns tomorrow that the statement of the Princeton athletic head is full of promise and that it hopes that indefinite cautions formalities on both sides of the fence will be abandoned and that the time is ripe for the "coming to terms on the basis of immediate action."

The editorial follows in full:

It is without question encouraging to the undergraduate bodies of both Harvard and Princeton that Dr. Charles W. Kennedy's long a waited statement to the press this morning recognizes the existence of an "active undergraduate desire for competition between Harvard and Princeton". Certainly the prevailing current of student opinion favoring resumption of athletic rela- tions, has been forcibly and unequivocably expressed at both colleges through the medium of the petitions and resolutions to which Dr. Kennedy indirectly refers. Further satisfaction may be derived from his declaration that "There seems to be real hope of cordial renewal," and we feel that Dr. Kennedy's expressed willingness "to discuss the matter with Mr. Bingham at an early date" is full of promise.

It is to be sincerely hoped and urged that authorities representing both institutions will not consider further prolonged negotiations, red tape, and "discussion" necessary before direct action can be taken. The undergraduate sentiments on record, the public announcement by Mr. Bingham of Harvard's willingness to negotiate, followed by his later proposals for prompt steps, appear to us to present the opportunity for abandoning indefinite, cautious formalities on both sides of the fence and for coming to terms on the basis of immediate action.

The original reason for the discontinuance of athletic relations with Harvard, apart from football, was an unfortunate but incontrovertible ill-feeling, arising from causes now forgotten, which made the move advisable. This condition has obviously disappeared completely, and in its place has developed a distinct feeling of cordiality.

The football policies unfortunately seem still to be in disagreement, although this tangle should not be regarded as insoluble. However, we dare to hope that Dr. Kennedy intends to take definite steps to meet the desires of Harvard and Princeton undergraduates by an agreement with Mr. Bingham for prompt resumption of relations in all other sports