LUBRICATION

After an unexplained period of laxity, the class officers have bestirred themselves to arrange for the annual elections. So little interest is shown in the choosing of officers that it seems to be almost casuistic to protest against the unparliamentary negligence which has ruled class elections for the past few years. Nevertheless, in the interests of existent principles, it seems reasonable that in form, at least, undergraduate self-government should preserve some small measure of regularity.

At the time of the ill-conducted Senior elections in December, it was suggested that a code of procedure be drawn up and retained by the Student Council for reference. That such a set of articles is desirable is attested to by the unnecessary postponement of the present elections from their usual date in the Reading Period until now.

Yet the province of the Student Council must be that of an organized body. The plans announced today affirming the intention of the Student Council to appoint nominating committees to work in conjunction with the present class officers are needless. To say that they are a departure from tradition without the consent of the classes is to say almost nothing, in view of the general disinterest in the matter. Nevertheless, here again it would be better to do things with some measure of regularity.

Heretofore, class elections have been held in January; nominations have been made by the class officers and by petition. In order to preserve simplicity, the Student Council should keep free from nominating committees. There is one function naturally incumbent on the Council, that of codifying the rules of elections. If efficiency and freedom from complications are to be retained, the Council should codify the rules and do nothing more.