POLICE BLOTTERS

As a sign of ineffectuality the raid of prohibition enforcement agents on University of Michigan fraternity houses is one of the best to date. Routed out of their beds by the government snoopers more than eighty undergraduates, including prominent leaders were haled sleepily to the Ann Arbor police station in the early morning hours. Quarts of seized liquor accompanied the patrol wagon, the students, and the police.

This is the second time within a year that Ann Arbor officials in a desperate attempt to uphold the belief that enforcement is working, have charged, with warrants, into students' rooms. If the mid-western university is like most others, the river is damned for one day and flows for six months.

Everything concerned with the raid was legal, so far as is known. Furthermore it is wholly justifiable for the enforcement agents to seize liquor and to prosecute law breakers, whoever they may be.

Yet what a futile gesture to pretend that the liquor traffic can be stopped by putting the sponge at the mouth instead of at the source of the flow. The bootlegger's assistant who gave the police the tip will probably go free, yet he is the loser, for he has no job. The bootlegger will get a new assistant and Michigan can drink toasts freely for another six months, as all other colleges and citizens can do.