WHERE THE BLUE BEGINS

A rumor has become current that there will be an attempt made in the near future to establish a branch of Yale at the Hotel Biltmore in New York. The "Yale News", for obvious purposes of subterfuge, has attributed the origin of this idea to a "very angry alumnus", so angry in fact that all attempts to discover his identity have proved a failure. Of course there may have been alumni, probably are, who, in a spirit of bitter irony made some such remark. But to put too much stock in the statement of any one individual, particularly such a mysterious one, would be to underestimate the subtlety of the undergraduates themselves.

Of course Yale is a long way from New York, two hours anyway, and the driver is liable to get pinched at that. It would be a lot more convenient to be established permanently on some nice inexpensive location in the city, like the Biltmore, and not have to rush back to New Haven every so often for classes. One can hardly blame the Yale undergraduates for resorting to some slight deception for the accomplishment of such an end. But those at Harvard who are heard to mumble something about "unfair competition" have no call to be jarred from their habitual indifference. Temporary fads like that are common enough at Yale. They even abolished mid-year examinations a little while ago, and as the pendulum swings in the opposite direction, in the near future somebody will undoubtedly start a "back-to-the-books" movement.