THE CHOICE OF A CAREER

The difficulty which the average undergraduate has in choosing a profession in the increasing complexities of modern life is being recognized more than ever before. The institution of the office of Consultant on Careers was a long step toward the solution of this problem, and the plan proposed by Mr. Glenn should be of still further assistance to the student. The formation of informal groups of those interested in various professions to hear them discussed by men prominent in these lines of endeavor, should receive considerable support from those who have not yet planned their futures.

No second-hand information can, of course, be as valuable as actual experience. This, however, requires years to gain, and a man may have to spend some time at several occupations before discovering what he is fitted for. Few can afford the time and money required to do this. The pressure of modern civilization is likely to force the average graduate to stick to his first choice, particularly if he has had special training for it, no matter how distasteful he may find it. For the student, learning from another is obviously the best thing he can do. The informality of these groups will enable him to obtain the views of leaders of several professions, giving him a wide field from which to choose. The success of the plan at Amherst and Princeton would seem to show that it will be of value here.