OPTIMISM?

For the first time since the proposed relief measures became obscured by acrid debate President Hoover has shown a willingness to compromise. Ironically enough on the same day that it printed this piece of news the Boston Herald in its editorial column compliments the President on his uncompromising attitude towards government aid.

Whether the President has been supporting the theoretically right method is not the point. If he should continue his hitherto uncompromising attitude, the aid which must be given without delay will be definitely withheld; for a stubborn Senate is notoriously more unbending than an obstinate President. In a crisis any aid is better than none. The future must be left to take care of itself and the present need satisfied in the most expedient way.

More smug than the Boston Herald's haggling over the die-hard principle is its blanket statement to the effect that there is no suffering throughout the drought stricken area. How can such sweeping optimism be entertained by a newspaper almost two thousand miles away in the face of the fact that the representatives in Congress for that area are clamoring for help for their constituents. Whether these demands for aid are a political move or not does not excuse the Boston Herald from appearing to play a political game of its own.