DRAMATIC CLUB PLANS TO PRODUCE "B.J.ONE"

KNOWN AS "JOURNEY'S END" OF THE NAVAL FIGHTERS

"B.J.One," a play in three acts by Commander Stephen King-Hall, R. N., has been chosen by the Harvard Dramatic Club for its forty-first annual spring production to be staged the last week in April at a place which will be announced later.

The author's permission has been obtained, and only the final word from his agents in London is being awaited, but it is fully expected that it will arrive today or tomorrow. The play was read last night to the Club members and unanimously agreed upon at a special meeting in Phillips Brooks House.

Production will get under way next Tuesday evening at an open meeting to which all members of the University, particularly those contemplating coming out for this production, are invited. The meeting is to occur at 7.45 o'clock in the Peabody Room of the Phillips Brooks House. F. Cowles Strickland, director of the Copley Theater Players, Boston, will be the speaker of the evening. E. P. Goodnow '17, who directed the Dramatic Club's production of "Success" a year ago, has been secured to coach "B.J.One." He will outline the play for the benefit of those wishing to try out in the various acting, stage, and business competitions. The Radcliffe Idler Society has been invited to attend the meeting.

"B.J.One" has an all male cast, with 35 parts to be filled. This will mark the first time since the beginning of the club that neither Radcliffe students nor members of the Boston debutante set have been invited to assist, but the officers of the club emphasized that this was by no means intended to set a precedent. For the most part, all of the roles are suited to men of college age, and extreme care will be used in casting for types.

The Dramatic Club performance of the work will be the first one in America, and as many New York managers are said to be contemplating the piece for professional production, the coming performances may be regarded in the light of an American tryout. In the past the Club has done many plays which were later New York hits, among them "Success", by A. A. Milne, which is now playing in Broadway under the title "Give Me Yesterday".

"B.J.One" was among the outstanding successes of the London theatrical season last year. The title itself is taken from a code signal used by the British Navy during the recent war, meaning "Prepare for battle". The play has been likened to a "Journey's End" on the sea, but its scope is less restrictive, and the plot carries over into the present day in timely fashion. While many all-male-cast plays have tended to show the effect of war on men. "B.J.One" tends rather to show the effect of men on war.