Over Half the Members of Senior Class Chose Occupations In Schooldays--Replies to Year's Questionnaire are Revealed

With the return by the early part of March of 86 per cent of the Questionnaires sent out to the Senior Class by the Harvard Alumni Placement Service, statistics about the future activities of the members of this year's graduating group have been compiled by D. T. Moyer '27, assistant director of the service.

On the first of November blanks were sent to 629 Seniors, 64 members of the class of '32, who expect to graduate this spring, and 62 out-of-course students. Of these 651 were returned properly filled out, and it is upon the basis of these that the figures have been made up. In answer to the first question on the blank, 56.8 per cent of the students asserted that they had made a definite choice of occupation after college, while the remaining were undecided at the middle of their last year. Over 50 per cent of these had made their choice since they came to college, while 31 per cent had selected it in their preparatory school days.

The number of these who will go into business is the lowest this year in the history of the bureau. In 1921 there were approximately 50 per cent of the graduating students going into business, but since then its popularity has steadily declined until this year only 30.27 percent chose a business career. Coming to second place from third of last year medicine increased from 13 to 16.6 percent of the number of students listed Dropping from 19 to 15 per cent law slipped into third place this year, followed by education with 10 per cent. The fields of engineering, research, journalism and literature, government service, and the ministry ranked in popularity in the order in which they are listed.

Of the students who are going to continue their education, the law schools, will claim the most, $4 men indicated that they would attend some law school but only 55 chose law as a profession No such condition was present in the field of medicine, where all the 60 who are going to a medical school intend to become dectors 78 of the graduates will go to some business school, and 11 will complete their education by travel.

Only 18 per cent of the whole class have positions waiting for them when they graduate 107 men had seemed to visit A. L. Putnam '20, consultant on careers, before the time of sending in the questionnaire. As a means of securing a job, 229 students indicated then intention of registering with the Alumnu Placement Service.