DANCING MASTERS

The plan of the Lowell House Committee to hold a House dance marks another milestone in the development of the Harvard House System, and the manner in which the residents support the affair will throw an interesting sidelight on the success of the cross-section idea.

Last Fall Lowell House challenged Dunster in a football game, with a resulted successful contest which brought forth the hearty backing of a great many men of both Houses, who came both to play and to watch. Athletics have helped and always will help to break down the artificial social barriers that crop up in a large group of students. But it is a different and a more difficult thing to conduct successfully as intimate an affair as a dance patronized by as varied a group of men as lives in the Houses. The slow but sure death of the Junior Promenade shows the unpopularity. In this University of a large dance conducted by students.

The limited size of the Lowell affair will act as a favorable element in encouraging the support of the members of the House, while the unusually suitable accommodations for it are clearly superior to those of former Harvard dances. Social functions of this sort distinctly have a place in House life if the System is to carry out the ambitions of its founders.