UNIVERSITY POLO TEAM IS VICTOR

Alert and Aggressive Play Accounts for Victory--Gerry and Nicholas Tie for Scoring Honors

Demonstrating that the five-year separation in sports has not dimmed the traditional rivalry between the institutions, the Harvard polo team won from the Princeton malletmen 13 1-2 to 8 1-2 in a fast contest Saturday afternoon at Princeton.

The game was the first dual athletic engagement between Tiger and Crimson teams since the break in 1926. This inaugurated a new era in Harvard-Princeton athletic competition, which will include later in the spring baseball, tennis, golf, and a triangular crew regatta with M. I. T. as the third party.

One Mishap of Game

From the opening to the closing going, the contest was marked by brilliantly aggressive play by both teams. Superior passing and generally alert play accounted largely for Harvard's victory. Captain E. T. Gerry '31, and H. I. Nicholas Jr. '31 tied for scoring the honors of the game with six goals each. The brothers Raymond and Leonard Firestone were outstanding for the Tigers the former registering five goals and his brother three. The only mishap of the game came when J. H. Bliss '31 was thrown from his horse, but he received no serious injury.

Teams Play on Flat Basis

The teams played on a flat basis, although Princeton has a five-goal higher handicap rating than Harvard. The Tigers attack in the opening minutes of the first chukker lived up to the higher rating, but the smooth-functioning offensive launched by the Crimson trio gave them a 3 to 2 lead at the end of the first period. Throughout the game this lead was never over-come by the Princeton horsemen.

The summary: HARVARD  PRINCETON H. Nicholas, Bliss,  No. 1   No. 1, R. Firestone Gerry, No. 2  No. 2, L. Firestone F. Nicholas, back  back, Post

Score--Harvard 13 1-2, Princeton 8 1-2. Goals--Gerry 6, H. Nicholas 6, R. Firestone 5, L. Firestone 3, F. Nicholas, Post, Pony. Fouls--H. Nicholas, L. Firestone. Time--four 7 1-2 minute chukkers.