RIGHEIMER, WING, AND CASSIDY WIN IN FENCING TILTS

Righeimer, Former Yale Star, Wins All His Matches -- Cassidy Took Foils Crown, Wesselman Second

Featured by the victory in epee of F. S. Righeimer 2L, former captain of Yale's fencing team, the finals of the annual University fencing tournament were held yesterday afternoon in the Fencing Room of the New Indoor Athletic Building. H. C. Cassidy '31 fenced his way to University championship in foils, while W.M. Wing '31 triumphed in the sabre division.

Winning every bout, Righeimer defeated three of the regular University fencers, Cassidy, H.B. Wesselman '31, and K. R. Ludlam '33. In 1929 he was intercollegiate champion in both foils and epee, and in the same year he held the national epee championship. Last summer he was a member of the American international fencing team which toured a number of foreign countries. Ludlam placed second by winning four out of five bouts, and Wesselman took third place with victories in three of his duels.

In the foils competition, Cassidy exhibited superior form to win all of his bouts. His only hard fight came in the bout with J. D. Allen '31, which he won five to four. Losing only one of his foils encounters, Wesselman took second place, and Gilbert Kerlin '33 placed third.

Close competition featured all of the bouts in the sabre division of the University championship tournament. In winning first place Wing defeated R.B. Lawson '32, Ludlam, and E.A. Ackerman '34. Lawson placed second, and Ludlam took third place. Almost every duel in this weapon was fought strenuously, and several of them took some time to complete.

The summary:

Epee: Righeimer defeated Wesselman, 1-0; Cassidy 1-0; Ludlam, 1-0; Dyer, 1-0; and Beard, 1-0. Ludlam defeated Wesselman, 1-0; Cassidy, 1-0; Dyer, 1-0; and Beard, 1-0. Wesselman defeated Cassidy, 1-0; Dyer, 1-0; and Beard, 1-0. Cassidy defeated Dyer, 1-0; and Beard, 1-0. Dyer defeated Beard, 1-0.

Foils: Cassidy defeated Wesselman 5-2; Allen, 5-4; and Kerlin, 5-2. Wesselman defeated Allen, 5-4; and 5-1. Kerlin defeated Allen, 5-4.