DIRECTORS OF WOODS HOLE INSTITUTE WILL SAIL FOR DENMARK

SHIP BEING CONSTRUCTED AT COST OF $175,000

Dr. H. B. Bigelow '01, associate professor of zoology and curator of oceanography in the Museum of Comparative Zoology, and C. O'D. Iselin '16, his assistant, will sail within the next few weeks for Denmark where they will conduct work in connection with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, of which Dr. Bigelow is director.

Leaving on Wednesday, March 11 for Copenhagen, Dr. Bigelow will attend a meeting of the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea. He will discuss plans for cooperation between that organization and the Woods Hole Institute. The Council, which is made up of representatives of the principal North European countries, has been carrying on scientific research for nearly 20 years. The present intention is to compare and coordinate the work on this side of the Atlantic with the work on the other side.

C. O'D. Iselin will sail on Friday, April 10 to supervise the finishing operations on the ketch, Atlantis, which is being built in Denmark for the Woods Hole Institute. The 142 foot steel boat was put in the water recently but is yet far from completion. The ship when completed will be powered by a 300 horse-power diesel motor and four sails. Costing $175,000 the ketch will have two laboratories, ten tons of wire rope, and quarters for 25 men.

Iselin, who is to be master of the ketch on its cruises, declared yesterday that the craft would be completed by June 1 and would sail about July 1 on its maiden voyage. A graduate and a student of Harvard will have charge of a part of the scientific work on the two months voyage. G. L. Clarke '27 will direct all of the biological investigation. The necessary chemical analyses of samples and physical observations will be done by R. B. Montgomery '32.

The master of the craft outlined six definite purposes of this summer's cruise. The vessel and her gear will be tested out. Practical experience as to the functioning of the scientific equipment under the conditions of the sea will be gained. Tow net work at depths of 1,000 to 2,000 fathoms will be done. Knowledge about the migrations of microscopic plant life and their relation to light intensity will be acquired. Temperature and salinity observations will be made to help the study of water circulation in the North Atlantic. Meteorological observations will be taken to assist in plotting air currents in the same region.