UNIVERSITY WILL EXPEL VIOLATORS OF LIBRARY RULES

University Library Director Tells of Recent Punishments--Actual Losses Checked

Recent cases of violation of library rules have led the Administrative Board to vote that expulsion will be the punishment meted out to students of the College found guilty of mutilation of books or infractions of library regulations. Announcement of this action was made by R. P. Blake, a director of the University Library, in the course of a statement relative to the decrease in loss of books since the application of the new system of surveillance.

The minute passed by the Board during its latest meeting is as follows:

That the mutilation of books belonging to any Harvard University library or the removal of books in violation of the rules of any such library by a student in Harvard College shall result in severance of his connection with the College.

Blake stated that this action had been taken after consideration of recent cases of infringement of library rules. A member of the Senior Class had his degree suspended one year as punishment for mutilation of a book, and another student, found smoking in the stacks, was placed on probation for an indefinite time.

Mr. Blake's statement follows in full: "We have found that the new restrictions have worked out satisfactorily during the period over which they have obtained. Where it has been possible to check the actual losses in any one section or department they have been found to have fallen off to a small per cent of last year's losses. There have been, however, breaches of the library rules which have brought upon the offenders a severe castigation by the College authorities. A member of the Senior Class had his degree suspended for a year while another student, found smoking in the stacks, was placed on probation for an indefinite period."