BOSTON COLLEGE WINS DEBATE FROM HARVARD

FOSDICK, PETERS, AND BUCKLIN RENDER DECISION

After a close battle of words, the Harvard debating team lost the annual debate with Boston College last night at Jordan Hall before a responsive audience which nearly filled the auditorium. The judges' decision favored the Boston team by a vote of two to one. The contest was honored by the presence of His Excellency, Joseph B. Ely, Governor of Massachusetts, who acted as Honorary Chairman.

P. H. Cohen '32, D. M. Sullivan '33, and P. C. Reardon '32, the three Harvard representatives, were opposed by J. C. Rogers, E. F. Connelly, and J. J. Wright of Boston College. The subject of the debate was as follows: "Resolved, That the United States should adhere to the World Court under the terms of the Root Protocol."

The affirmative side maintained that the only barriers standing in the way of the United States joining the World Court were the five reservations made by the United States Senate in its vote to become a member of the tribunal, and that these were cleared under the terms of the Root Protocol.

The negative, on the other hand, vigoroulsy attacked the World Court's affiliations with the League of Nations and cited many cases of the incompetency of the World Court in settling disputes. Honorable Andrew. J. Peters, former Mayor of Boston, Walter S. Bucklin, president of Shawmut Bank, and Honorable Frederick W. Fosdick, associate justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court, acted as judges of the contest while Honorable Charles F. Hurley, treasurer of Massachusetts, presided: