"We Must Have Unity in Europe," Declares Professor E. J. Vermeil in Crimson Interview---Discusses Politics in Europe

"We must have unity in Europe. If we have a war it will be the end of Europe, and Russia will gain a victory over us," declared Professor E. J. Vermeil, professor of German Literature in the University of Strasbourg and exchange professor from France during the second half of the current year, yesterday in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter.

"However," he continued, "Instead of one who have two plans, the French with a political one, and the Germans with an economic one. The French people fear that after the Austro-German customs union may come political plans. It is very difficult to know whether we can have in Europe a synthesis of political and economic objectives. I hope it is possible to bring the aims to the same goal."

When asked how strongly the people of his native land were opposed to this customs union, Professor Vermeil said, "I read an article the other day in a very reliable French bulletin which discussed the situation with a calm tone saying that the union was inevitable. In the constitution of Weimar there is a provision for union. But Pan-Germanism is and remains a great danger, particularly since the elections of September 1930. If the customs agreement is successful, if the Italians and the Balkans come into it, there will be a danger of Germany getting dreams of European empire similar to the one before the war.

"We have in France political stability, while in Germany they have more economic success, but it is possible that Germany more than France will be able to give Europe what is needed in an economic sense. We Frenchmen must see this problem in the light of realism, but we must also-look at the political consequences. Of course, the German government needs a great success. If this projected plan goes through, it would help Germany gain the necessary stability.

"If Germany makes this great economic success, England and France must try to keep control of the political situation. However, the two countries must be ready to force Germany to moderation and to keep her within the League of Nations. If the League says there is a conflict with existing treaties, and if Austria and Germany insist upon having the economic alliance, there will be great danger for the League. Germany has the power to destroy the League. If Germany withdraws the League may be finished.

"The great problem of the League is to keep Germany within the boundaries of the treaties and to maintain the present order. But Germany will not and cannot accept the present economic status. I think these two aims can eventually be harmonized, but the problem is to get Germany not to act too quickly.

"France would be unalterably opposed to actual political union between Germany and Austria because such a thing would lead to Pan-Germanism. The French policy is to keep intact the order of Versailles because of sudden change would be a great danger. Europe must progressively change economically and politically also. We cannot compete with Russia if we do not unite, because Russia has the power to modify the whole European economic situation. The conflict between right and fact is always a latent and predominant one in Europe."