Bartholdy Stresses Need for Continued Cooperation From The United States to Help Europe--Financial Aid Important

Praising the work that the United States had already done in helping to restore conditions to a healthy state in Europe Dr. Albrecht Mendelssohn-Bartholdy last night stressed the need for continued assistance from this country in aiding to bring about European cooperation in a lecture on Franco-German relations delivered in Emerson D.

"It would be an unthinkable disaster if the United States turned away from Europe and disinterested itself from its questions especially from the Franco-German one" said Dr. Bartholdy. "America's great gift to humanity is hopefulness and it is not too much to wish that this gift be applied to European countries."

Dr. Bartholdy praised the work of the two American representatives Cook and Perkins at the Hague when the intricacies of the Dawes plan were being unraveled. He divided the post war relations between France and Germany into three five-year periods in which the attitude of the United States was the basis for the discussion. For the first five years this country kept clear of any negotiations and showed no official sympathy. In the next quinquennial division financial help and sympathy were forth-coming from across the waters and immediately German business rallied. The industrial power of the German nation was rebuilt and the country was aided in regaining its sense of pride. The third period is still in evolution but the progress made in it will depend to a great extent on American interest, as already stated.

The League of Nations, according to the distinguished lecturer from the University of Hamburg, is held in less respect today by public opinion than five years ago. One of the major reasons for this is its inability to allay the mutual suspicions between the various countries. "However, no one can expect more from the League than to keep peace," continued Dr. Bartholdy. "No one wants to abolish the League. We must make the best of it. In the future we shall have to look for cooperation on a greater scale, especially between France and Germany." The lecturer sees in the dual administration of African colonies one of the first moves toward this greater cooperation.