FITZGERALD WINNER OF LEE WADE PRIZE CONTEST

PRIZES AMONG OLDEST OF THOSE OFFERED BY UNIVERSITY

Robert Stuart Fitzgerald '33, of Springfield, Illinois, was awarded the first or Lee Wade prize in the annual Boylston and Lee Wade contest, which was held last evening before an audience of about 150 people in Sanders Theatre. The award was made to Fitzgerald for his recitation of a selection from "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad. At the same time the judges, R. W. Boyden '85, R. T. Bushnell '18, I. L. Winters '86, Associate Professor of Public Speaking, Emeritus, awarded the Boylston prize of $50 to John James Ryan, Jr. 33 of Jamaica Plain, for his recitation of Wilson's First Inaugural Address.

The second and third Boylston prizes, which amount to $35 each, were awarded to William Shepard Baskervill '32, of Charleston, South Carolina, who recited "Creation" by James Weldon Johnson, and to Paul Cashman Reardon '32, of Quincy, who recited "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes.

The Boylston prizes were founded in 1817 by Ward Nicholas Boylston in honor of his uncle Nicholas Boylston, who established the Boylston Professorship of Rhetoric and Oratory. These prizes have been awarded annually for the past 113 years, and are among the oldest prizes offered by the University.

The Lee Wade prize was founded in 1915 by Dr. Francis Henry Wade in memory of his son, Lee Wade II, of the Class of 1914, who took part in the Boylston competition when in college. The Lee Wade prize is the first prize of the evening's competition, which is open to Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores in good standing in Harvard College.