GROWTH OF THE CHILD

It is a point involving discussion whether any professional branch of the Arts deserves aid or should exist solely on its merits. Almost an axiom in contrast with self-sufficiency is the fact that the Theatre to produce consistently artistic work must be independent of financial strain.

The Cambridge School of the Drama, born through the demands of Harvard undergraduates for some medium of expression in the realm of the theatre, will complete its third semester this Spring. The announcement yesterday that the Carnegie Foundation has endowed it with the money necessary to renovate the interior of the Rogers Building is indicative of the firmness with which this activity has become a part, if not an official one, of Harvard University. Consciously separated from the Little Theatre movement, and allowing the interested student a training ground for practical play-writing and production, the School has completely served its purpose. The Carnegie endowment is significant not only in the fact that it strengthens the Cambridge School of the Drama, but also as a non-partisan sign of the permanence of the movement itself.