THE PRICE OF PEACE

In an outline of the foreign service as a career appearing today in the CRIMSON, Mr. Mariner presents an adequate survey of the business of becoming a diplomat but he does not touch upon the practical matter of compensations. It has been argued, and with reason, in diplomatic circles, that "career men", those whose advancements accord only with their ability and industry, seldom are granted high positions in the service because of the expense involved in maintaining a minister's or ambassador's establishment.

With all its past surplusses and vaunted wealth the United States has dealt niggardly with its younger diplomats and almost not at all with the graduates of its foreign service who have not ample personal means. Many young men in the consular service have been forced to withdraw from government employ because the salaries granted them were insufficient to insure even the necessities of a life conforming with the standards of living and entertainment expected of representatives of the United States, Because of the impossibility of supporting a suitable establishment, as advances in position brought added social responsibility and emoluments not in proportion to the increasing requisite expenditures, this country has lost many able diplomats. However, steps are being taken to mitigate the present evil and to bring about circumstances in which the diplomat with wealth is not preferred to the servant with manifest ability in appointments to the more important posts.

When the government makes more equitable financial provisions for its representatives abroad, foreign service will become a career attractive to college men of abilities, capable of coping with the problem of maintaining peace between the United States and other nations.