GEORGE F. BAKER

This morning the new plant of the Harvard Business School becomes officially a part of Harvard. Those who are now used to the attractive group of buildings rising, where once the level waste of Allston bank abused the eye, may not consider the exercises of the morning as more than reiterative. For already has this settlement across the Charles become an intimate appendage of the older Harvard.

More than reiterative, however, these exercises must be. When men from the Universities meet with men from the industries to confirm, each with the blessing of that section of the American people which he represents, this experiment in graduate education, the Harvard School of Business Administration, no one can discover mere redundance in the addresses of the day.

These visitors to Cambridge, President Lowell, the faculty of the school now dedicate a monument to American business. It is not the complacent reminder of a sordid interest. It is the dignified reminder of the willingness of the modern Harvard to ally herself with the contemporary world, to train men for the duties and needs of that world; and it is the dignified, vital reminder of the energy, generosity, breadth of mind of leaders in business.

Especially is this true of the donor. With the decorum of true philanthropy, George F. Baker has allowed this monument to rise, has cooperated with Harvard in what to many still remain an educational novelty, but to the serious and sincere few is a significant advance in that ill charted march, made by that misunderstood plodder, education.