EXAMINATIONS DO NOT HINDER TWO WORK-OUTS

FOUR CREWS TOGETHER COVER 28 MILES

Harvard Crew Headquarters, Red Top, Conn., June 3--With the close of the third day of a two-week session of intensive training, the four Harvard crews now in camp are gradually accustoming themselves to the stiff daily program which has been arranged for them. Weather conditions were perfect, and the oarsmen were given both morning and afternoon workouts, although they were forced by examinations to wait until the early evening for the final practice.

The University and Jayyee eights rowed downstream this morning for a six-mile stretch at a slow paddle, with Whiteside devoting most of his attention to the latter boat. Armstrong's aggregation, though showing more than usual strength, has lacked the smoothness which is essential over a long course. Whiteside is now polishing up the individual faults in the crew, in an endeavor to perfect the performance of the whole.

Freshmen Drill on Fundamentals

The Freshman and combination crews followed the current for a two-and-a-half-mile stretch, and on the return trip put the stroke up successively until the final minute was rowed at a stroke of about 36. Haines has been busy throughout the week in drilling his crews in fundamentals; both eights have shown a tendency to "check," due largely to sluggishness at the finish of the stroke.

The squad has a rest period during the early part of the afternoon, during which some took examinations, and the rest amused themselves with croquet and horse-shoes, which sports are becoming increasingly popular as a form of recreation. Towards evening the slight breeze which had been blowing during the middle of the day died down, and when the crews embarked for the second time the water conditions were admirable.

University Covers 14 Miles

This time the two University crews paddled to the start of the four-mile stretch, and went over the distance at a low stroke, to familiarize the oarsmen with the landmarks of the course. The Freshman and combination eights went downstream once more, this time stopping at the start of the upstream two-mile course, which they covered at a stroke of about 24. The total distance covered by the four crews was 28 miles, that covered by the University crew, 14.

Since the shift of Parker from the Combination crew to the Jayveee eight there have been no changes in the boatings as they stood before the trip to Connecticut, and there is no reason to expect a further shakeup. Until the squad has finished its examinations. Coach Whiteside announced today, there will be no really heavy work. With three hours each afternoon devoted to academic work it is impossible to expect the oarsmen to make any prolonged rows, although a few short races are planned tentatively for the end of the week