RECORD TO LEAD TRACK SQUAD IN 1931-32 SEASON

Retained Title and Missed a Second by Two Inches--Morse Beats Hasler In Broad Jump

At a meeting of the members of the track squad who took part in the Yale meet. Engene Edwin Record '82, of Brookline, was elected captain for the 1931-32 season. The honor to the star hurdler comes as a climax to a season during which he has been undefeated in dual meet competition, was a double winner against Yale, took second place in the intercollegiate Jow hurdles, and retained his I. C. 4A crown in the high timbertopping event with a Harvard record time of 14 3-5 seconds.

The new captain, won Freshman numerals in football, and was a substitute back on the 1929 and 1930 football teams, winning his letter in the Yale game last fall. In balloting of the Junior Class last week he was reelected a member of the student council.

At the time of the election, which took place after the squad picture had been taken at Notman's, it was announced that J. R. Collins '32 will succeed Henry Chalfant '31 as manager of the team next year.

Record, who prepared at Brookline High School led his school team to victory at the Interscholastics in the Stadium in 1928, setting a mark of 14 3-5 seconds for the 120-yard low hurdles.

Led Freshman Team

Winning his Freshman numerals in the hurdle events, Record led the first year team against the Elis, capturing the high event in 16 1-5 seconds and in the furlong hurdles defeating Fates, newly elected Blue leader, with a time of 24 4-5 seconds.

In last year's encounter with the Blue the sorrel-headed timbertopper won the low hurdles in 24 seconds, but fell on the tenth barrier in a stride-for-stride race with DeVoe, this year's Eli leader. In the culmination of this rivalry at New Haven last month Record won in 14 2-5 seconds, a world record mark not allowed because of favoring wind, and shortly later fought off Fates to win the low event in 23 1-10 seconds.

The new leader, who first won Inter-collegiate honors as a Sophomore at the I. C. 4A in the Stadium, with a time of 14 4-5 seconds, this year came from behind to retain his title by beating Clark of Cornell with a clocking of 14 3-5 seconds, the third time the distance has been run at that speed in 55 years of I. C. 4A competition. Record, who ran five heats on the opening day narrowly missed gaining double honors when he trailed Payne of the Trojans by ten inches in the furlong event. His two times, 14 3-5 and 23 3-5 seconds, constitute a Harvard record performance for one day.

The new leader will partner with DeVoe when the Crimson and Blue join forces against the Light and Dark Blues at Stamford Bridge, London, on July 18. A broad-jumping duel yesterday between J. M. Morse '34 and W. Hasler '34 resulted in the selection of the former as the Crimson broad-jump representative. Morse covered 22 feet, 6 inches, while Hasler's best effort was 22 feet 1 1-2 inches.

Kollmyer to Race Eil

A race between Kollmyer and Warner, of the Yale squad, at New Haven on Wednesday, June 10, will determine Dodge's partner in the double furlong. On Saturday, June 13, Barrie, Foote, and Murphy will stage a trial two mile, on the basis of which two will be selected to join Cobb, Estes, Hallowell, and Fobes on the invading team.

The Crimson forces next season will number two intercollegiate champions.

Record and Hallowell, who finished 12 yards ahead of a large field in the mile race at the I. C. 4A games. Dodge and Kollmyer, lending quarter-milers, will again be available. Record will have assistance from Grady in the hurdles; the loss of Wackins by graduation will leave the burden in the dashes, one of the Crimson's weaker points, on Forbes With Cobh gone, Hallowell will be counted on for the half mile event. Fox Barrie, Foote, and Fains will all return to add strength to the squad which has given the Crimson clean sweeps in the distance runs