MEETING IN UNION WILL OPEN 1935 ATHLETIC SEASON

Football, Cross Country, Track, and Polo Begin Early Next Week--All Will Participate in Athletics

The athletic season for the Class of 1935 opens tomorrow night at 8 o'clock in the large dining hall of the Harvard Union, where an informal gathering of first year men will be held. W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, B. H. Ticknor '31, second assistant football coach, and W. B. Wood, Jr. '32, captain of the football team, will give short addresses on "Athletics and Physical Training at Harvard." Moving pictures of a variety of sports will also be included on the program. Assistant Dean Henry Chauncey will preside at the meeting.

Candidates for the Freshman football team will meet for the first time at the Dillon Field House on Monday at 1.30 o'clock. Equipment will be given out today and tomorrow. Practice this year will be conducted under the leadership of R. H. Bond '17, former head coach of the Brown first year team, who will be directing the Crimson Freshmen this season for the first time.

Fall Sports Begin

Freshmen out for other sports will be called out by their respective coaches in the near future. Fall track will begin on Wednesday, September 30, when candidates will meet Coaches E. C. Haggerty '27 and Clifford Gallagher in the Dillon Field House at 3 o'clock. Cross country will start under Coach Jaakko Mikkola on Tuesday. For seven consecutive years the Crimson harriers have overwhelmed their Yale opponents. University and Freshman polo practice in preparation for the winter season will start on Wednesday under Captain F. D. Sharp, U. S. A.

In order to satisfy the physical training requirement, members of the class of 1935 may choose from numerous elective sports; among these are lacrosse, tennis, handball, fencing, equitation, polo, soccer, squash, hiking, and single-shell rowing.

All students entering Harvard must undergo a physical examination. Those who fail will be required to take special corrective exercises.

Freshman intramural sports are to be conducted under A. W. Samborski '26. As the dormitory basis for Freshman competition no longer exists, intramural teams will be formed of groups chosen by the coaches of the respective squads. The two best intramural elevens will play House teams, the regular 1935 B team, and neighboring high and preparatory schools.

The intramural football squad will be divided into three groups, which will play a schedule of games consisting of two rounds. Members of the winning team will receive intramural medals engraved "1931--Freshman Football."

Competition for the position of Freshman football manager, which satisfies the physical training requirement, will open with a meeting at the H. A. A. on Monday at 11 o'clock.

NOTICE

The special Freshman edition of the Crimson which may be found today at Memorial Hall and at the Crimson Building on Plympton Street brings to 1000 newcomers to Harvard the important events of the opening of the College year. In order to keep in touch with University and undergraduate activities and opinions every member of the Class of 1935 should take advantage of the Crimson. Subscriptions to the undergraduate daily will be accepted today at Memorial Hall and at the Crimson Building.